Sports Physiotherapy New Zealand is a Special Interest Group of Physiotherapy New Zealand. SPNZ is also a member of the International Federation of Sports Physical Therapy (IFSPT). The IFSPT is a recognised sub-group of the World Confederation of Physical Therapy (WCPT), and is the worldwide federation representing national organisations of sports physiotherapy.
Sports Physiotherapy New Zealand consists of an Executive Committee responsible for the administration, direction and activities of the group. There are also a number of sub-committees responsible for development of continuing education programmes, SPNZ awards, and organisation of our biennial Sports Physiotherapy Symposium. Currently SPNZ has over 700 members.
SPNZ aims to maintain, and improve the provision of high quality sports physiotherapy services to participants of all ages and abilities involved in sport, exercise and recreation. SPNZ develops and delivers continuing education programmes for its members addressing advanced sports physiotherapy competencies and standards of practice. SPNZ also promotes excellence in education, research, clinical practice and specialisation in the area of orthopaedic and sports physiotherapy.
SPNZ is also developing resources for use by the public that will include basic injury prevention and management information. These resources will be freely available, and are intended for use by anyone in participation, coaching, refereeing, providing sideline support or involved in administrative positions at all levels of sport.
To join SPNZ, you must be a current financial member of Physiotherapy New Zealand. To be eligible for membership with PNZ you must be a New Zealand registered physiotherapist.
For the current membership fee of $60, SPNZ members receive the following benefits:
- Free subscription to JOSPT (Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy)
- Advanced notification, preferential access and reduced registration costs for SPNZ Sports Physiotherapy Courses
- 4 yearly copies of the Australian Sports Physio Association Magazine – Sports Physio
- 4 yearly copies of the Sports Medicine Australia Sport health magazine
- 25% off McGraw-Hill medical books
- Education fund available to members only to help with funding for CPD activities (course and conference attendance, research etc)
- ASICS shoes and clothing at Members rates
- Regular SPNZ Sports Bulletin newsletters by email including clinical updates, latest research.
- Up to date information via the SPNZ web site
- A Sports Physiotherapy Forum to discuss ideas and ask questions